Sunday, June 03, 2007

Joan Didion You are KILLING Me!

"She was lying on her back on the asphalt. An ambulance was called. She was taken to UCLA. According to Gerry she was awake and lucid in the ambulance. It was only in the emergency room that she began convulsing and lost coherence."

Dear God! I don't see how she could think that any of this was funny! This is dreadfully serious stuff! And I haven't seen a real honest to god set-up/punch since page 43, when she was talking about her chanting in Latin at St. John the Divine.

I am, of course, reading Joan Didion National Book Award-winning The Year of Magical Thinking.

I am sitting in a French-style cafe on the Lower East Side where apparenly, actor-musician Mos Def can be found at least weekly. Well. I could use the man right about now. He suggests you try to French toast, and you can bet I did. Anything to block out Joan and the heat. Note to readers: do NOT mix sweltering heat and books on grief. This should be a no-brainer, but Old Buller here thought she could take it.

I FedExed a sample of my comedy to Murfreesboro, TN today. It took everything I had to spell it the way the true spelling requires that it be spelled.

I have been charging up a storm on my credit card getting my dvds out of my house. Now I just need to charge up a storm getting me out of this country.

I am wearing vintage Lilly Pulitzer green and turquoise pants given to me by a Columbia-educated friend I was in love with. She is gone, but her pants remain. I am hoping that the pants will attract a new, Columbia-educated well-connected friend. Don't the wealthy have an eye for one another's things?

Earlier today a black man sitting on a lawn chair yelled to me "Yo fly's undone!"

So we do know that black men sitting on lawn chairs have an eye for open flies.

The line to sum up today? Doing the best I can. The Four Agreements says "always do your best." I think the "always" is a bit much. I think "more often than not" is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment